Thursday, December 22, 2011

Listen!


Can you hear it? The approach of winter riding in on the coat tails of autumn. Slowly, teasingly, it sneaks forth on silent wisps. Fooling the senses, hidden within the south wind and the smell of well thawed earth. It is coming. Soon, too soon, it will freeze the ground solid. Deathlike, the trees will stand as silent sentinels to the sky. Harsh, cold and unfeeling…..yet deep within the core of each thing, the renewal of life glimmers. Hold tight, keep safe. It’s just a fleeting moment, that’s all. A fleeting moment with a stark beauty all it’s own. Listen……………..WINTER.


I posted this a couple of years ago. I couldn't think of a better way to say it, but I had this wonderful idea for a painting.

1 comment:

Marybeth said...

Sentiment is very well written. While I live in high alpine enviromnent I do not like the long winter and spring and and the cold temps. There are things that keep me here and I find it hard to appreciate the winter. This reminds me to stop and look around to see it again. Grey Eyes has been posted - my tribute to the Solstice.