Saturday, July 31, 2010

To Hear a Feather Drop


















The boys have shed their tails, so there will be peace on the prairie, at least for a little while. There will be no fighting on my new roof, no attempting to spur each other (and us if we get in the way) No calling and screeching all night at the slightest sound that could be seen as a threat. Unfortunately, there will be no more watch cocks patrolling the grounds and signaling when something…anything, enters the driveway. The good with the bad. The other good….chicks!!! Six little peafowl so far. There are still two hens sitting on nests (one in the horse feeder, lol) They’re young hens though, so the odds are not good for a hatch. Blessings. I am always filled with wonder at the prospect of new life. Nature isn’t kind, yet these babies, already complete with genetic warnings of danger, march bravely into the world to explore and survive. They put humans to shame in a certain sense. We are so quick to whine and snivel at the slightest inconvenience, and here are these little fluff balls marching in the rain to hunt for food. Lessons. I learn and forget, learn and forget. I am only human after all. But I too will persevere, if for no other reason than to prove that I too can do this thing called life. I too can march in the rain storms that life throws my way, and I can survive. Blessings, right outside my window, and deep inside my being. If they can do this, so can I…so can I.

1 comment:

okcsuzq said...

Oh, but aren't they beautiful with their tails all fanned out? I think that nature is always trying to teach us small lessons that we are supposed learn and gather for future needs, until the day there is a really big thing we need to deal with. I love the way that you put it...very poetic.